Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Ridge Gourd Skin Chutney (Janhi Chopa Chutney)

My younger sister was doing her summer course in BBSR. One day my Khudi (Aunt) invited her for lunch and she made this chutney for her. When she knew it made of ridge gourd skin, she surprised. Then she came back home and told my mother and me about this. But that time I was not into all this cooking sooking. Because this is a typical Andhra recipe, my mother didn't know it and she never tried. After 7 years, I don't know how this dish stuck into my mind. I called up my khudi and got this recipe. And believe me after you try this you will never throw the skin away. You wont believe this skin can taste so good.


Ingredients:
Skin of 2 Ridge gourd
1 tsp Urad dal
2 tsp Chana dal
1 tsp Cumin seeds
2 tsp Sesame seeds
Half lemon size Tamarind
Few Curry leaves (optional)
2 Garlic pods
1 tsp of Jaggery
2 tbs of vegetable oil
Salt to taste
Green chilies to taste


Directions:
Wash the ridge gourds and peal the skin.
Now we are using only the pealed skin of ridge gourd.
You can use the ridge gourd for preparing Curry.
Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, chana dal, urad dal and sesame seeds.Fry until they turn to golden color.
Add curry leaves,green chilies and fry for a while.Remove the ingredients into a bowl, let the ingredients cool down completely.
In the same pan add little oil and put the pealed skin of the ridge gourd (If the skin are very long then cut into small pieces) .
Add a pinch of salt.Close the lid and cook in a medium flame until the skins are completely cooked.
Now add the cooked skins, garlic pods, jaggery, tamarind, the fried dal mix and salt.  Now grind gently. Add water only if it is necessary. Take the chutney into a bowl.
Have it with rice, chapati, dosa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment